Did you know you are one with these women in Kenya?
There are probably few cultures that feel more foreign to women in America than the Pokot tribe in Kenya.
- The Pokot tribe lives in a very remote area of western Kenya between a set of mountains ranges.
- The Pokot tribe is constantly fighting with the neighboring Turkana Tribe over land, water and livestock. Violent killings between the two tribes happen every day.
- And even though Female Genital Mutation (FGM) has been banned by the Kenyan Government, the Pokot tribe still practices the tradition often. This horrible practice results in girls as young as 12 dropping out of school and getting married. The actual procedure can make girls anemic and infertile and sometimes if done incorrectly can even cause the young girls to die of infection.
While this world may seem foreign, in Kinship you can become one with these women.
Kinship United outpost leaders have moved into this area and started a Kinship Project - the Lumut Kinship Project. This Kinship Project is working to address the needs of the Pokot tribe and lead them to love.
- The Lumut Kinship Project is rescuing young orphan girls who were in danger of being forced into FGM practices and young marriages.
- The church is teaching reconciliation and forgiveness between the Pokot and Turkana Tribes. They are working with these tribes and helping work through issues that cause conflicts, like building a well they can both use for access to clean water.
- The Lumut Kinship Project is continuing to look for ways to help the Pokot tribe to use their resources. They hope to be able to buy machines to help the Pokot tribe process and sell the honey and mangos they harvest. Another project would be to help with irrigation so the people can farm the land in the area.
The Pokot tribe seems foreign and far-away, but through Kinship we can embrace each other and become one.
This tribe needs our help! Would you consider embracing the Pokot people through Kinship? By signing up to make a monthly gift of any amount, you can join their Kinship today!